Official Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guns of Icarus Online

2 posters

Go down

Guns of Icarus Online Empty Guns of Icarus Online

Post  Temo Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:14 pm

FINALLY OUT! 8D Here http://gunsoficarus.com/ or on Steam. F2P game after that one-time cost thing to buy it.

Game is pretty heavy on PVP and teamwork. Those who have played the original G.o.I, the gameplay has the same basic concept - shoot anything down that's trying to take your airship down. Difference is that instead of swarms of annoying NPC air pirates, you're dealing with small groups of players on warships, which come in a few different sizes and all with unique pros and cons of their own. ((Example: Galleon is HUGE and can mount the best guns; but visibility to the pilot is limited (good communication with the crew is veeeery helpful <.< )))

Pros I've noticed so far:

-Teamwork-heavy game. Each ship has a team of four people (with simple-minded but efficient AIs filling slots if necessary) and three roles to divide jobs between - navigator, engineer, and gunner. Take a wild guess on what each does. Note that just because you're doing one job on the crew, it doesn't mean you can't switch stations if needbe. Heck the game's situations encourage being able to adapt to situations. Whatever it takes to keep yourself in the air. But getting ahead of myself - teamwork-heavy, and you'll be a terror of the skies with the proper crew. >83

- Balanced. As I've mentioned, Each warship has its own pros and cons, from gun mounts and positions of, to engine and hull specs, to sizes, to blind spots. The same goes for the crew and each role. Navigators are most effective behind the wheel, gunners at cannons, engineers at keeping the ship together.

- Combinations. Guns are only limited by size as far as what can be mounted on a ship. This allows for a wide field of strategies and ways to defend yourself against other ships. For instance, you could harpoon and drag them in close to be torched or have their balloon filled with shotgun shrapnel. Or you can snipe at a distance with flak cannons, or missile the hell out of them while speeding forward to ram 'em. Possibilities are pretty endless.

- Still being developed. Guns of Icarus Online was officially released last week. The game is pretty basic at the moment, but developers are still working on that, and very open to listening to player feedback. To the point where some even log in to the game to chat and play alongside everyone.

Cons I've Noticed:

- Unbalanced flamethrowers. Currently the bane of everybody's existence if you can't get away from the one using them. Yes, they're harmless at a distance; but at the moment they have the ability to instantly set your ship ablaze and keep it that way, which sucks even worse if you don't have a fire extinguisher handy among the crew. Developers are working on ways to fix that so the effects aren't permanently stuck to people's ships and making skirmishes involving them one-sided.

- Shop. Granted, they're asked for VERY little on cost to their things, but it's still always aggrivating to buy a game, just to be required to buy more within it. Costume parts for your character can be bought for 1-4 dollars, which is honestly a small price to pay to look nice n' savvy. Still, annoying, and the parts don't really do much else besides make you look good.

- Lag. It's not a huge issue (for me anyway), but it still happens. It's even more annoying that it's so hard to find a game with proper latency and you just have to pray. Solution to this seems to just go for maps that don't need a lot of people on them; but that does kind of take away some of the modes and fun maps. :T

-Teamwork-heavy game. Just as much a scary thing as an entertaining one. You can have the best crew ever, or you can have the most horrible one that doesn't know where to go, hogs things they shouldn't be, terrible shots, too laggy to properly support the crew, etc. It's a bit of a hit and miss if you're just randomly getting people on board with you or joining their crews, but with a group of friends that communicate well, sky's the limit.

Aaaand...I think that's about all I gotta say on it.
Temo
Temo
Burrito Bison

http://pineappleyoshi.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Guns of Icarus Online Empty Re: Guns of Icarus Online

Post  Cyler Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:50 pm

Looks like you need a very good gaming computer to play it efficiently. XD;
Cyler
Cyler
Sweet Tart Sucubus
Sweet Tart Sucubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Temo Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:43 pm

Really? I didn't think so but...then again, with all the cloud cover, smoke, smog, etc, I guess that'd be a lot of particle junk? Not that you can't turn down the settings though.
Temo
Temo
Burrito Bison

http://pineappleyoshi.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down