Official Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A *RE*Re-submission of Riyoko's abilities.

+5
Veleth
Captincrunch
Temo
Kenelm
Minerva (Jaena)
9 posters

Go down

A *RE*Re-submission of Riyoko's abilities. Empty A *RE*Re-submission of Riyoko's abilities.

Post  Minerva (Jaena) Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:13 am

Summary: Riyoko is NOT a magical character, so you wont see her doing much in the ways of spellcraft. She has the basic spells, though IC, she will NOT be using them. What Riyoko IS is an Acrobat. Now that I know where to find and recieve Evasion, it should be easy to get it. I will re-post on this thread when i get around to doing that, which will not be soon. I'd rather get around to posting this sooner rather than later.

Ability 1: Uncanny Dodge.
Summary:
Due to intense physical training, Riyoko is almost NEVER caught flat-footed. She is always on her toes. Yes, this makes her very hard to hit, but she is far from invulnerable. She is quick, and agile, but fragile and easily hurt. She is not strong in the slightest, so this ability does NOT, I repeat NOT grant her the ability to find gaps in armor, or be un-hittable. An example (I hope that people dont use OOC knowledge to defeat me, but...) of a way to beat her would be to slice in one direction, to make her duck/dodge, and then slashing where she lands. This is possible because as she lands, she needs to reset her proprioception, which takes a short moment, but leaves her exposed to attack.
Justification: Evasion Ability, Sharp Mind.

Ability 2: Animalistic Tracking.
Summary:
Because she is wolf-kin, she has the ability to track the scent of people she has encountered. This ability proceeds as such: Riyoko sniffs the air, or an Item the target has held. I, as Riyoko, PM the target character OOC, and ask if their scent is still in the air around so-and-so location. If not, it is a failed tracking attempt. If the target -allows themselves to be tracked- (This needs to be voluntary, or else it's near godmode territory, and I'd like to avoid being killed by Dellinger's big pink rubber hammer.) then Riyoko may proceed after them. This needs to be done on each map, so as to simulate a chase, or sustained tracking. Each new map Riyoko enters, I must make a new request. If the result is different, then Riyoko LOSES the scent, and I have to either A: Start over, or B:make a new request in a different map, which may or may NOT be closer to the target.
Justification: This is tougher territory. As there are no SCENT abilities, or any abilities that even remotely mimic a SCENT ability, I will have to Justify this though Actions/Gestures. I believe there are two gestures that imitate it adequately. The first is Positive-happy gesture. This will be used when my premium package runs out. The second is obvious- Smell/sniff gesture. This is a premium action, so I'll have to get some premium on me soon.

WAYPUNS! Er uh..
Weapons:
Summary: I have submitted a WEAPON section because I want to get a WEAPON style or two approved.

Weapon 1: Finger-Blade.
Representation: Dagger/Shearing Knife/None.

A Finger-blade is held on the middle, or index finger of any hand. It straps on with several leather belts and chains, or one of the two, depending on it's size and make. It's purpose is to cause non-lethal Subdual damage (Which means disabling damage), or to pierce vital organs to cause a slow bleed-out or instantaneous death.

Picture/Example:
A *RE*Re-submission of Riyoko's abilities. Soi-fo10
A *RE*Re-submission of Riyoko's abilities. Ctcool10

And to you trolls out there, Yes, it's from bleach. Yes, it's Soi Fon's weapon. And Yes, I got the inspiration to do it as a common assassination weapon. I love you trolls~!

Weapon 2: Custom Shoto/Assassin Equipment.
Representation: Broadsword/rocks (For the throwing stars)/dagger (For the knife.)
A Shoto (The Name that Riyoko has given it) Is a small one-handed blade used for stabbing. It's sheath is hung on the small of the back, and allows for drawing it and slashing at the same moment. It is meant for efficient disembowelments/assassinations, and is effectively used by acrobatic agents.

Picture/Example:
A *RE*Re-submission of Riyoko's abilities. Ninja-10

Hopefully I can get these approved with little to no blowback on rules. I hope I adhered to the rules closely enough. There are no enchantments or special abilities to these weapons.

<3 u guys.

Last edited by Jaena on Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Minerva (Jaena)
Minerva (Jaena)
Gummy Bear
Gummy Bear

Back to top Go down

A *RE*Re-submission of Riyoko's abilities. Empty Re: A *RE*Re-submission of Riyoko's abilities.

Post  Kenelm Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:43 pm

Just a reminder: The game has hard-coded mechanical limitations. These must be worked within.

Role-playing tools have similar limitations.

Feedback on the Scent tracking ability (Role-play tool): Time passes at the rate of one day every thirty-six minutes. Rain can last for days. Longa's dunes are forever moving. (Thus the reason for a less than one map limitation. Indoor locations may have different rules.)

I believe scent tracking is pretty much limited to just under two thirds of the Bangor map. (The Bangor map is the smallest outside area with the most traverse-able space.)

I believe that's about all. We also have a rules upgrade for this section, it is being worked on.
Kenelm
Kenelm
Mentor
Mentor

Location : Dallas-Fort Worth metro, Texas, United States, GMT-6

Back to top Go down

A *RE*Re-submission of Riyoko's abilities. Empty Re: A *RE*Re-submission of Riyoko's abilities.

Post  Minerva (Jaena) Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:39 pm

Ah, okay, thanks Ken. I'll put Scent tracking on the unused list. Do you have feedback on the other sections, though? ^-^
Minerva (Jaena)
Minerva (Jaena)
Gummy Bear
Gummy Bear

Back to top Go down

Post  Temo Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:51 pm

It's one thing to be quick and nimble, but it's another to be able to detect danger coming and move out of the way. Uncanny Dodge sounds a lot like something along the lines of the 360 degree "Spider-Sense", which has been practically banned here due to people abusing it and never taking a hit. I'm not saying you'll do it, but them's the breaks. If that's not what you're doing with that skill, I would suggest revising it to where it doesn't feel like it's saying such.

As for Weapon 2, why not find one of the katanas in Mabi instead? Or...just use dagger or scimitar weapons period, instead of something fancy? Normally assassins use unmarked and generic weapons that wouldn't be tracked back to them if lost anyway, not a flashy item that would say, "I was here" if for some reason left behind.

That's all I got.
Temo
Temo
Burrito Bison

http://pineappleyoshi.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Minerva (Jaena) Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:14 pm

To Clarify Uncanny Dodge even further, it's not a spider-sensitive evasion-device, it's more like quick reflexes. She cant see danger coming unless she can hear it, or see it. If the danger is silent, or something near-to silent, and from behind, she's just as suceptable as she would be if she didnt have Uncanny Dodge. Invisibility is also a problem for her, and teleports like FH make it difficult, if not impossible, to evade danger. As for the weapon... KATANAS ARE EXPENSIIIVE... :<

I could switch it to a dagger, I guess... But where's the individuality?
Minerva (Jaena)
Minerva (Jaena)
Gummy Bear
Gummy Bear

Back to top Go down

Post  Temo Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:22 pm

Temo wrote:Normally assassins use unmarked and generic weapons that wouldn't be tracked back to them if lost anyway, not a flashy item that would say, "I was here" if for some reason left behind.

Again, individuality is a weakness that gets killers killed. Razz If people can identify you, you can be sure you're going to be taken down fast and soon; and judging by the crowd we got around here, it's not going to be very pleasant.

That's just my take on it though. Honestly, custom-made stuff is fine; but it just seemed more sensible to me in that kind of profession to use items that won't get you identified if left behind.
Temo
Temo
Burrito Bison

http://pineappleyoshi.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Minerva (Jaena) Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:59 pm

Thank you, definately, for your input. ^-^ I really appreciate it.
Minerva (Jaena)
Minerva (Jaena)
Gummy Bear
Gummy Bear

Back to top Go down

Post  Captincrunch Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:33 pm

Just to add my two GP to the discussion.

Assassins used common, everyday items people were expected to be carrying with them and either modified them or just put them to creative and deadly use. Like a threshing flail used as a blunt weapon aka nunchaku.
Captincrunch
Captincrunch
Dragon
Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Veleth Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:22 pm

Ah, the acrobats. I remember those. The wonderful attempts of past days to godmode by justification. As I've stated at other times, a weakness is a moot point if you are essentially making her impossible to be hit. I could have 1 HP yet RP that not a single attack hit me. Untouchable, unbreakable, etc., except in extremely rare instances as the one described by the OP, are things that I would hope show a cause for concern or it could just be me.
Veleth
Veleth
Gummy Sandworm
Gummy Sandworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Jaeden Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:27 am

Well, Galin. Fortunately for our acrobatics we now have the evasion skill. Which means they have a chance to roll out of the way.

I like the weapons, Jaena. They're nice looking. Especially the claw. But I think something should be said as toward dodging on most PCs: Completely do-able. If you're in a forest / woodsy area, ranged will have a hard time shooting you if your dodging between trees. If you're in a river / pond, melee will have a hard time actually getting a hit on you that's truly fatal (I refuse to believe we can't swim just because the game mechanics won't allow it).

Basically--when you dodge, let it make sense. If someone shoots an arrow when you're not expecting it, of course you're going to get hit. Especially if they're a good marksman. Even more so if it's point blank. If someone's 5 inches away from you and swinging you at a bat, there is no dodging it. There's deflection, but that bat's going to hit something regardless.

And that's for -everybody-. Not just you. I've played with you before and I know you're amazing. Unfortunately, some people lack common sense and can't figure the above out on their own... while claiming they play a fair game.
Jaeden
Jaeden
Rock Kandy Mountain Golem

Back to top Go down

Post  Auramune Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:42 am

er... Have these been reworked or are you requesting them as they are now? ^_^
Auramune
Auramune
Retired
Retired

Back to top Go down

Post  Veleth Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:17 pm

Jaeden wrote:Well, Galin. Fortunately for our acrobatics we now have the evasion skill. Which means they have a chance to roll out of the way.

I like the weapons, Jaena. They're nice looking. Especially the claw. But I think something should be said as toward dodging on most PCs: Completely do-able. If you're in a forest / woodsy area, ranged will have a hard time shooting you if your dodging between trees. If you're in a river / pond, melee will have a hard time actually getting a hit on you that's truly fatal (I refuse to believe we can't swim just because the game mechanics won't allow it).

Basically--when you dodge, let it make sense. If someone shoots an arrow when you're not expecting it, of course you're going to get hit. Especially if they're a good marksman. Even more so if it's point blank. If someone's 5 inches away from you and swinging you at a bat, there is no dodging it. There's deflection, but that bat's going to hit something regardless.

And that's for -everybody-. Not just you. I've played with you before and I know you're amazing. Unfortunately, some people lack common sense and can't figure the above out on their own... while claiming they play a fair game.

Well fortunately for our acrobats, Jaeden, the evasion skill is excessively limited in what it does. It is merely rolling around and so I would expect that we should have more specifics to what an acrobat is capable of from the person who is requesting the powers. Additionally, as I've said at other times, low HP for a dodger does not justify the ability to avoid next to everything.

The words of the indivdiual requesting the power reflects how incredibly specific the attack would have to be in order to hit them. This is too close to godmoding to even be a consideration.
Veleth
Veleth
Gummy Sandworm
Gummy Sandworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Jaeden Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:55 am

Galin wrote:Well fortunately for our acrobats, Jaeden, the evasion skill is excessively limited in what it does. . .

This ironic bit of humor made my morning. Smile And yes, overtly enhanced evasion is a tad bit god-modding. And there's no fun to -not- being able to take a hit. Receiving damages and being babied by your IC friends is just as fun. It makes me feel special! I encourage everyone to take a stab at Jaeden. Just do it. I'mma get love'ns for it later from all her little buddies. NYAH NYAH NYAH!

So let's consider taking off enhanced evasion. You can RP this just as easily without saying that it's a skill. Just because I've spent 20 years arm wrestling strong blokes doesn't mean that I'm going to say that I have a special ability to win at arm wrestling. If the question of evading an attack comes down to character historical pasts in having experiences with such things, then this is something that should be discussed OOC. Consent is everything.
Jaeden
Jaeden

Back to top Go down

Post  Xeek Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:04 pm

Trash?
Xeek
Xeek
Retired
Retired

Back to top Go down

Post  Kayeori Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:21 am

I'm going to say for now that this needs to be reworked. If Jaena does think of another way rework these requests then we'll take another look at that time. Very Happy
Kayeori
Kayeori
Dessert Dragon
Dessert Dragon

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/v0te4pi3

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down