Official Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rolling in Polling

+7
Mari Eir
Vayne
Cyler
Adhamh
Lynn17
Xeek
Auramune
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Rolling in Polling - Page 2 Empty Re: Rolling in Polling

Post  Auramune Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:24 pm

I found a site that does just that. It offers a "chatroom" with a dice in it. We could make our own room that people can log in and view the rolls and stuff.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Auramune
Auramune
Retired
Retired

Back to top Go down

Post  Mari Eir Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:36 pm

Actually, this site lists a history of the roll if that helps to know. o__O It'll state all results.

And just noticed Aura's post. I have no problem with this one, either. *shrugs* Does it have a private option? It might be disruptive if just anyone can come in (it looks like the log includes a bunch of randoms).
Mari Eir
Mari Eir
Viking
Viking

Back to top Go down

Post  Auramune Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:41 pm

I just used the default name instead of my own lol, so that's probably why. I don't know if there's a private option or not. But no one will probably know the name of the room except getting it from here.
Auramune
Auramune
Retired
Retired

Back to top Go down

Post  Dellinger Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:44 pm

I believe invisiblecastle.com is what you might want to look into.
It has a log feature for whomever is rolling, and if something starts getting spammed...
Well, we'll know something's going on and sufficiently scold all guild members for trying to create a hassle.

Seems like a fine, bang-up idea to me.

Note the fact it keeps dates and times in order.
If we know when someone is rolling, we know what to look for.
And as long as no one messes with it by making rolls under the same name at the same time
All is peachy.

I just dislike the idea having to wait on people to get into chatrooms for proof to be 'significant.'
Specially if I actually have to do that 'wait' thing. Heh.
This is equally equitable for what you want, methinks. =P

Cheers!

~Zach, who's run countless online dice-rollers and uses this site religiously. =P
Dellinger
Dellinger
Dragon
Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Mari Eir Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:55 pm

Seeing as I typically roll anywhere between 3-6am PST, I would also be down with this one, Dell. Very Happy I'll use some ridiculous name and include anyone awake at the time.
Mari Eir
Mari Eir
Viking
Viking

Back to top Go down

Post  Dellinger Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:00 pm

Mari Eir wrote:Seeing as I typically roll anywhere between 3-6am PST, I would also be down with this one, Dell. Very Happy I'll use some ridiculous name and include anyone awake at the time.

Do not use a ridiculous name. That defeats the purpose of this.
Use a name specifically dedicated to RPS Alternate Universe Rolling.
Hell, RPS_AU for a character name works wonders.
And it'll keep a log for whenever it was getting rolled.

And if the guild (because anyone else having RPS_AU be their monicker is -unlikely-) opts to spam rolls.
Well, we can just have words with the guild proper.
To all possible offenders, which could even include you.

Random names implies you could roll several times with many different, ever changing outlandish names.
A solid log makes for a solid basis on which to trust the die rolls, if that seems to be people's problems.
That is the issue I was reading tell of, aye?
Dellinger
Dellinger
Dragon
Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Mari Eir Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:03 pm

Oh ya, that's true. Right.
Mari Eir
Mari Eir
Viking
Viking

Back to top Go down

Post  Soifa Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:02 am

Adhamh wrote:You say we have several other AUs that we haven't done yet, but we only have 3 (that have been listed as ready) out of 8 AUs that haven't been done.

Not done:
Mabinogi
Anime
Extermination

Also add:
Dumping ground
Survival horror(if it's ready, I think it is, it's been on a poll before)

Things that have been done but haven't been revisited or just are not ready:
Steampunk
High school
Child(though this was done recently, so whatever)
Castaway when it's ready, which will be sometime..in the future.

Total not done: 5, 6 counting Castaway
Not revisited: 3

You only counted ones on the first post of the poll thread, there are other AUs in the works or that just don't need to be expanded upon. Rather simple ones.

If my memory serves me correctly, the Milletian Extermination AU has been on the list every (or almost every) week since it was ready (except this week, apparently), it just hasn't been selected through the voting.
I've only seen it there once ._.

If it were on there more I'd remember cuz I'd vote for that and that only.

The Horror/Survival one appears often as well. It only seems like the TF!AU is on way more than the others because when it does land on the poll, it ends up winning. And it only ends up on the poll every other week, but in reality, it's only been on the poll three times. The issue isn't that the TF!AU ending up on the polls is too much of a coincidence, but rather that it always wins when it appears on the polls. Which isn't an issue at all (Or at least it shouldn't be), because people are voting for that.

I thought it's been done four times.
I don't feel like counting the synopsis to check, though, so we'll go with three.

Three(Going on 4, though someone told me it was done four times...so maybe going on 5) vs..
One other that was revisited once.
A total of 6 that have not been started(counting the ones not ready, if not, it's 4 or 5.)
3 others that have not been revisited.

Why not just do your RPG:AU during the week or something. It's popular enough to just keep going and going or something. Then you can take a break from it for three days to do an AU with different people and get to know your character in a new, different setting. Basically, unless everyone not participating finally decides to just start AUs without you guys, then the others don't seem like they'll get a lot of attention.

I don't think people are interested in survival horror cuz there's a high chance they might die.

That was a late reply to that post. Who cares.

Edit: The title of this made me think of Rolling in the Deep. I hate you for that, Aura.
Soifa
Soifa
Retired
Retired

Back to top Go down

Post  Adhamh Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:16 am

Soifa wrote:
Adhamh wrote:You say we have several other AUs that we haven't done yet, but we only have 3 (that have been listed as ready) out of 8 AUs that haven't been done.

Not done:
Mabinogi
Anime
Extermination

Also add:
Dumping ground
Survival horror(if it's ready, I think it is, it's been on a poll before)

Things that have been done but haven't been revisited or just are not ready:
Steampunk
High school
Child(though this was done recently, so whatever)
Castaway when it's ready, which will be sometime..in the future.

Total not done: 5, 6 counting Castaway
Not revisited: 3

You only counted ones on the first post of the poll thread, there are other AUs in the works or that just don't need to be expanded upon. Rather simple ones.

If my memory serves me correctly, the Milletian Extermination AU has been on the list every (or almost every) week since it was ready (except this week, apparently), it just hasn't been selected through the voting.
I've only seen it there once ._.

If it were on there more I'd remember cuz I'd vote for that and that only.

The Horror/Survival one appears often as well. It only seems like the TF!AU is on way more than the others because when it does land on the poll, it ends up winning. And it only ends up on the poll every other week, but in reality, it's only been on the poll three times. The issue isn't that the TF!AU ending up on the polls is too much of a coincidence, but rather that it always wins when it appears on the polls. Which isn't an issue at all (Or at least it shouldn't be), because people are voting for that.

I thought it's been done four times.
I don't feel like counting the synopsis to check, though, so we'll go with three.

Three(Going on 4, though someone told me it was done four times...so maybe going on 5) vs..
One other that was revisited once.
A total of 6 that have not been started(counting the ones not ready, if not, it's 4 or 5.)
3 others that have not been revisited.

Why not just do your RPG:AU during the week or something. It's popular enough to just keep going and going or something. Then you can take a break from it for three days to do an AU with different people and get to know your character in a new, different setting. Basically, unless everyone not participating finally decides to just start AUs without you guys, then the others don't seem like they'll get a lot of attention.

I don't think people are interested in survival horror cuz there's a high chance they might die.

That was a late reply to that post. Who cares.

Edit: The title of this made me think of Rolling in the Deep. I hate you for that, Aura.

Even though it's a late reply, I appreciate the fact that someone acknowledged this post instead of skipping over it.

1. I said we had three that had been listed as ready. You can't really count ones that aren't ready for this, because well, if they're not ready they won't be rolled for anyway. The Mabi one was never confirmed to be ready, Jabber asked. The Dumping Ground was stated ready after this week's polls were made, so it couldn't have possibly made it into the rolling either. o_O So I stand by my three.

2. The Milletian one I'm not entirely sure about either. I don't really pay attention to it because I'm not interested in it.

3. The TF!AU one I'm sure we're going on four.

4. We already have people complaining that we don't Normal RP on the weekends because of the AUs and not all of the participants of this AU are available during the week. That's why we restrict it to weekends.

5. This isn't so much of a "I don't want to change the system" post, but rather a "I'm appalled at the accusations that have been made." But yeah, I'm done. However the rolling method ends up happening, I'll try to participate in it as much as I can. I don't like waking up at 6-9am my time orz, but I can make an effort, maybe. Again, I appreciate the fact that you acknowledged my post Soifa.
Adhamh
Adhamh
Cromm Crunch
Cromm Crunch

Location : Anywhere, everywhere, and nowhere all at the same time.

Back to top Go down

Post  Soifa Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:54 am

Adhamh wrote:

Even though it's a late reply, I appreciate the fact that someone acknowledged this post instead of skipping over it.

1. I said we had three that had been listed as ready. You can't really count ones that aren't ready for this, because well, if they're not ready they won't be rolled for anyway. The Mabi one was never confirmed to be ready, Jabber asked. The Dumping Ground was stated ready after this week's polls were made, so it couldn't have possibly made it into the rolling either. o_O So I stand by my three.
I do not stand by three. I count the Mabi as ready since Jab only asked if it was to be sandbox or not, not if it was ready or not. Dumping is ready, so I count it....I'm not going to call it that anymore. I'm unofficially renaming it "Giant crossover", because dumps are dirty.

2. The Milletian one I'm not entirely sure about either. I don't really pay attention to it because I'm not interested in it.
I'm sure of it. I complained about how it was never on there because of my extreme interest in it.

3. The TF!AU one I'm sure we're going on four.
Oh, okay then. I'm still not counting. That's still twice as much as one, and 4x as much as others. And some..fraction-y amount...more than..whatever. Math.

Uneven.

4. We already have people complaining that we don't Normal RP on the weekends because of the AUs and not all of the participants of this AU are available during the week. That's why we restrict it to weekends.

No.

That right there is an AU for ANYTIME, meaning weekdays, too. People have expressed interest in it. Once it's done being readied, normal RP will diminish even more.

You pretty much have to beg for regular U RPs now anyway if you want one that isn't one x one.

5. This isn't so much of a "I don't want to change the system" post, but rather a "I'm appalled at the accusations that have been made." But yeah, I'm done. However the rolling method ends up happening, I'll try to participate in it as much as I can. I don't like waking up at 6-9am my time orz, but I can make an effort, maybe. Again, I appreciate the fact that you acknowledged my post Soifa.

I'm going to put forth a hard truth, not EVERYONE in this guild is BFFs with everyone else. Coincidences are annoyingly suspicious, I admit that. I don't like them, there doesn't seem to be much coincidence control. Anyone who took government class would remember that polls can be manipulated. Aura stated that she means no accusations or offense, she means to truly have fairness represented. She doesn't feel that it is, so she spoke about it.

Now for some other old posts that I want to reply to.

Lynn17 wrote:.....If everyone votes for the TFAU. It's the -last- TFAU anyway guys......O___o....Until we do the...prequel AU. But who knows when that will be....
I thought a sequel AND prequel were being thought of. Which, judging by the popularity of this AU, shouldn't take too long to get the premise of and get started.
Then how many weekends would that take?

Cyler wrote:That's why I think letting the RP's be open like the main RP is a good thing. "But if we had that then nobody will get into the main one again!" so? There is already people who ONLY log/go IC JUST for the AU's which attend on weekends really. So why not just let them be open and accessible at any time? Or let the leaders of those AU's choose the dates/times it can be aired. That is MY opinion though.

P.S.: Probably wondering what this has to do with "rolls" well...I personally just don't like the idea of rolls. .w. That is my point.

SMILIES

Very Happy
Not quite. Letting ALL be open at ONCE will just be a mass of confusion. Everyone will want to do different ones at once or something, or someone wanting to RP one 'verse will be left alone as everyone goes through TF:AU over and over and over.

I say TF:AU because of how loved it is.

Adhamh wrote:

As an RPer, you should know that word choice is always important. It does matter, because there's a big difference between not having done 7 AUs because we're always doing one and not having done 3 AUs, when we've done five others.

Also, I wasn't trying to twist things around. I meant you're making mountains out of molehills.
Molehill to you, mountain to others. The fact that this one is done SO much kills the idea of AU weekends, in my opinion. It's supposed to be a way to get to know your character in different settings. Not the same setting over and over again.

Also, your math seems off, because we've had 7 AU weekends since the voting began. Guardian, Steampunk, TF, TF, *Then the every-other-week rule was introduced, Child, TF, and Guardian Revisited.
And we still have others that are just unloved or something. No one wants to give them a chance. They go with what they like and just that. No one seems to go "I haven't done that, it might be fun" and vote for something new, they go for the old, the known, and the done.

@Vayne But you guys are assuming that Jabber puts it on purposefully and doesn't roll for it. Which isn't fair to her AT ALL.

Assuming anything isn't fair to anyone, so assuming she ISN'T is not fair as well. Stop assuming what she's doing, we cannot truly know without seeing it.

(I put this here, cuz it's also Ani, so whatever.)
Too much of a coincidence doesn't make something true. We've used the phrase " next week" because we've gotten used to it being rolled for and winning everytime it appears. It's called conditioning I believe. Some of you have used the whole "we should be able to trust our guildies" things in discussions/debates, where's that trust now guys? Is trust only accessible when it benefits you?

I don't judge on things like that. It's like powers, we don't WANT to think someone will abuse a loophole in a power, but if the possibility is THERE, we HAVE to close it. Not because we don't trust, but because it's fair.

Oh look it's Ani again. Hi Ani! MORE COLORS.

Anyway, as a sidenote, I still think revisits should not be done until each AU has been given a chance, since if you allow revisits to be voted for hardly anyone WILL give them a chance.
Soifa
Soifa
Retired
Retired

Back to top Go down

Post  Xeek Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:44 pm

I personally think the system should be done as proposed by Soifa, or similar.
We do an initial roll to assign order, and then keep bumping the winner to last on the list. And if 'take a break' is voted, we bump all of the(or the ones that got least votes) options to last.

Xeek
Xeek
Retired
Retired

Back to top Go down

Post  Glaceon Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:41 pm

Xeek's system is good imo. Just, if take a break is most popular, the bottom two can be bumped to the bottom. Honestly, I'm tired of seeing TFAU constantly pop up and get voted. Personally I think it should go on a 2-3 week cool off period, as it's been done 3-4 times now. There are some with REALLY neat concepts that DON'T get any time because of revisits. (CoughExterminationCough) Wasn't the purpose of the AU to see characters in another setting, not make a story that happens to have our characters in take part in (Like TF seems to be doing). Just my thoughts. It all started out with the High School, just to see how our characters would be in a high school setting. There wasn't any storyline like half of these things have now, it was just a setting.
Glaceon
Glaceon
Glas Ghoblehht
Glas Ghoblehht

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2