Official Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Memento Mori

3 posters

Go down

Memento Mori Empty Memento Mori

Post  LaminaNight Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:54 pm

"Memento Mori." A phrase that appears in the first line of the tacked on parchment of the bulletin board, the Latin phrase being something that would stand out among the ordinary words and such, but being commonly known enough that the words can be understood.

"Remember that you will die."

The phrase is not a threat, but a warning.
A warning of the inevitability of death.

The rest of the words on the old, yellow-tinted, wilting parchment read in Latin, ( but for the sake of readers i will be placing it in English )  as well as in a rather refined cursive handwriting, the type of which that takes years of practice and honing to achieve and appears very formal, almost out of place. Furthermore, there are specks of blood littering the parchment, though it is hard to tell why or how the blood got there, only that it adds more to the mystery of the lone letter.

The rest reads:

"I have traveled for years in this place, stuck to the shadows as best i could, slayed beasts as necessary, became stronger and stronger . . . Yet i still cannot assuage this feeling of dread that this place delivers upon my soul...
I will not speak of why i feel this intense fear, only that it cripples me daily, even more-so than the Curse . . .
I write this in desperation, in the hopes that somewhere . . . someone may find it and be able to help . . .
How? . . . I do not know.
Please, for time is short, as is life. If the Curse does not take me, nor the fear, then i know of only one other. . . "

But then, upon the last line, the writing style becomes much heavier and less formal, as if the writer was rushing from an unknown cause, though the last line gives a clue as to why.

"The Darkness comes . . . "

With that, the letter ends, the initials of the writer being pre-written in the bottom left of the parchment's page.

"L. S. N."

--------

OOC Comment: ( I am making this post in the hopes to participate a bit, i do hope no one minds me doing such )
LaminaNight
LaminaNight
Frenetic Fuzzy Fox
Frenetic Fuzzy Fox

Back to top Go down

Memento Mori Empty Re: Memento Mori

Post  Kenelm Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:42 pm

// Now, I'm curious how much of the Latin I could actually figure out... So, just for kicks, I'd like to see the Latin version. (I'll probably update this post with a refined version of my character's response, too.)

An envelope with an enclosed response is attached to the aged parchment:
To L. S. N:
Kenelm
Kenelm
Mentor
Mentor

Location : Dallas-Fort Worth metro, Texas, United States, GMT-6

Back to top Go down

Post  LaminaNight Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:06 pm

( My OOC Latin skills are limited to only a few years of learning, so i will do what i can and be forced to consult my textbook for the rest. )

"Feci iter longum. Occidi sicut ego necessarius. Maxime enim mansi abscondita. Factus sum fortis.

Cumque adhuc egestas. . . eam fecit me noceat. Plus etiam, quam maledixi.

Scripsi, quia volo subveniri.

Nescio qualiter.

Brevis ipsa vita est. Ita est non tempus.

Tenebris aditus . . . "

( As you can see, my Latin is OOC still very weak - which is why my sentences are short, as that makes it easier to translate into English. But i did what i could in the timeframe. Thank you for your response )
LaminaNight
LaminaNight
Frenetic Fuzzy Fox
Frenetic Fuzzy Fox

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenelm Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:07 am

/* [OOC]
Interesting.

Without any other references than the English version, and some pondering, I am able to determine little more than the following:

"Necessarius" is fairly obvious. "Mansi" is likely "strength."
"Abscondita" might be acting as a synonym for "abscond."
"Maledixi" is likely in reference to "curse" using either "malediction" or "malady."
"Scripsi" easily correlates to "I write."
"Brevis" is possibly "short."
"Vita" is close to "vital;" therefore, "life."
"Tempus" is close to "temporary;" thus, "time." [/OOC]*/
Kenelm
Kenelm
Mentor
Mentor

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenelm Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:38 pm

// Will the character with the ball please respond?
Kenelm
Kenelm
Mentor
Mentor

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuralin Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:05 pm

Looks blankly at the message, shrugs and walks away.

Kuralin
Kandy Korn Ogre
Kandy Korn Ogre

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down