Official Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Auron's Necromancy

+6
Dellinger
Xeek
Teoxihuitl
Jordiya
Auramune
Adhamh
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Auron's Necromancy - Page 2 Empty Re: Auron's Necromancy

Post  Adhamh Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:55 pm

Yes. I'd represent the depletion with mana shield.

Nope, like I mentioned before, Auron is in complete control of the skeleton. If Auron runs out of mana, the skeleton crumples.
Adhamh
Adhamh
Cromm Crunch
Cromm Crunch

Location : Anywhere, everywhere, and nowhere all at the same time.

Back to top Go down

Post  Teoxihuitl Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:11 pm

Ok so your character at resting has 100% mana.
How much mana would it take to initially make this creature "alive".

Please explain this ritual and how long it would take for it to activate. Or is it a point to the ground and bam you got a undead creature deal?
This dead creature needed 100% mana and stamina when it was alive, so is there a stamina usage being applied?

Is it complete concentration that is needed to keep him from crumbling?

Does the corpse have to be fresh? I assume the fresher the easier it would be to raise them from the dead.

Could he raise Demi Lichs that have been slayed in Dunbie? Or any other kind of field mob?
Teoxihuitl
Teoxihuitl
Sweet Tart Sucubus
Sweet Tart Sucubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Adhamh Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:53 pm

I'd say 10% of his mana to resurrect.

The ritual consists of him extending his mana into the gravesite where the mana would bring the corpse up and control it. I'd say it'd take about 10 seconds max.

No, stamina is not being used. Stamina is the energy required to perform physical activity. Since all activity performed by the skeleton will be due to Auron's control/manipulation, no stamina is required.

No, Auron doesn't have to be concentrated completely to do the simple tasks I mentioned earlier. But he -does- have to concentrate to complete the actual ritual, seeing as he's only a novice necromancer. Which is also why he can't do too much else with it. I figure to be most efficient with this skill, he'd have to be both advanced in general mana use and necromancy. I'd honestly say he has mana use down, but he's only a novice necromancer, so that inhibits his ability.

Yeah. The fresher, the better state the body's in.

Nope. Demi Lich is too much for him. Only a basic skeleton.
Adhamh
Adhamh
Cromm Crunch
Cromm Crunch

Back to top Go down

Post  Teoxihuitl Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:23 pm

I can approve.
Teoxihuitl
Teoxihuitl
Sweet Tart Sucubus
Sweet Tart Sucubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Xeek Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:35 pm

I am sorry but I can't approve...
Xeek
Xeek
Retired
Retired

Back to top Go down

Post  Teoxihuitl Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:07 pm

I will have to ask though that this not be called necromancy as it is not.
Necromancy tends to have a purpose for bringing the soul back either for knowledge or power, you are doing neither, this falls under reanimation, like the old school snake experiments they used to perform.

Teoxihuitl
Teoxihuitl
Sweet Tart Sucubus
Sweet Tart Sucubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Adhamh Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:21 pm

It -is- necromancy though. o_O He's raising the dead, which is necromancy. He has a purpose for this, it's not just "Hm, I'm bored. Let me play with some bones."
Adhamh
Adhamh
Cromm Crunch
Cromm Crunch

Back to top Go down

Post  Teoxihuitl Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:24 pm

Adhamh wrote:It -is- necromancy though. o_O He's raising the dead, which is necromancy. He has a purpose for this, it's not just "Hm, I'm bored. Let me play with some bones."

You are just channeling your energy through the vessel, without your energy it crumbles.

Necromancy allows the vessel to not only act for the master such as talk,attack,defend and collect information but it does not crumble. Plus the past experiences of the vessel is gone, it has no memories in your case.

Reanimation is a precursor to necromancy.

Teoxihuitl
Teoxihuitl
Sweet Tart Sucubus
Sweet Tart Sucubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Auramune Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:12 pm

(wiki)Necromancy is a claimed form of magic involving communication with the deceased – either by summoning their spirit as an apparition or raising them bodily.

(dnd information/definitions)
Necromancy spells manipulate the power of death, unlife, and the life force. One of the lower level necromancy spells is called 'Animate Dead.'

Spoiler:

Reanimation(like "revive" spells) is technically necromancy(and used often to describe what necromancy does). Necromancy is a magical class term that revolves around death, unlife, and life force.

Hopefully this helps clarify on Necromancy spells a bit more.
Auramune
Auramune
Retired
Retired

Back to top Go down

Post  Teoxihuitl Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:23 pm

Auramune wrote:(wiki)Necromancy is a claimed form of magic involving communication with the deceased – either by summoning their spirit as an apparition or raising them bodily.

He hasnt made any suggestion that the thing can talk or share its knowledge, it cant talk either.

(dnd information/definitions)
Necromancy spells manipulate the power of death, unlife, and the life force. One of the lower level necromancy spells is called 'Animate Dead.'

He isnt really manipulating anything that involves life force, he is making muscles and bones move. Typically in some darker things the soul is involved, he isnt returning its soul, just powering the body.

Living Dead- The infection itself has an effect on the decay of the corpse it reanimates. It slows down the rate of decay to almost a standstill, allowing the Living Dead to function without any decline in ability for 2 - 4 years after death and reanimation.

Would the infection in this case be mana? He hasnt mentioned the rate of decay either, good point.

Green Rain; Vile Reanimation: All creatures that die as a result of the rain rise 1d4+1 rounds later as a skeleton of the appropriate size. Creatures lacking skeletal systems (including oozes, some vermin, some animals, and other creatures, as evaluated by the DM as the situation warrants) are not reanimated.

This doesnt fit his power at all.

Reanimation(like "revive" spells) is technically necromancy(and used often to describe what necromancy does). Necromancy is a magical class term that revolves around death, unlife, and life force.

To be honest this power is more possession than anything else, in other words puppet mastery.

Hopefully this helps clarify on Necromancy spells a bit more.
Teoxihuitl
Teoxihuitl
Sweet Tart Sucubus
Sweet Tart Sucubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Auramune Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:14 pm

Oh, let me clarify. The living dead and green rain thing was just examples of definitions where reanimation/reanimate is used when talking about necromancy xD My bad. It has nothing to do with the powers themselves. Just the word being interchangeable.

-He hasnt made any suggestion that the thing can talk or share its knowledge, it cant talk either.-
The necromancer communicates with the undead by "raising them bodily"(zombie/skeleton). Not the undead being able to communicate. Infact, a skeleton wouldn't be able to talk, since it's just bones. Only certain undead should be able to speak. Like vampires, zombies, ghosts, lichs.

And I do believe puppetry and necromancy are two sides of the same coin. The difference is the way it's done/type of magic.

But that's just my input xD.
Auramune
Auramune
Retired
Retired

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:22 pm

Different forms of communication:

Verbal Communication
Verbal communication includes sounds, words, language and speaking. Language is said to have originated from sounds and gestures. There are many languages spoken in the world. The basis of language formation are: gender, class, profession, geographical area, age group and other social elements. Speaking is an effective way of communicating and is again classified into two types viz. interpersonal communication and public speaking.

Non-Verbal Communication
Non-verbal communication involves physical ways of communication, like, tone of the voice, touch, smell and body motion. Creative and aesthetic non-verbal communication includes singing, music, dancing and sculpturing. Symbols and sign language are also included in non-verbal communication. Body language is a non-verbal way of communication. Body posture and physical contact convey a lot of information. Body posture matters a lot when you are communicating verbally to someone. Folded arms and crossed legs are some of the signals conveyed by a body posture. Physical contact, like, shaking hands, pushing, patting and touching expresses the feeling of intimacy. Facial expressions, gestures and eye contact are all different ways of communication. Reading facial expressions can help you know a person better.

Written Communication
Written communication is writing the words which you want to communicate. Good written communication is essential for business purposes. Written communication is practiced in many different languages. E-mails, reports, articles and memos are some of the ways of using written communication in business. The written communication can be edited and amended many times before it is communicated to the second party to whom the communication is intended. This is one of the main advantages of using writing as the major means of communication in business activity. Written communication is used not only in business but also for informal communication purposes. Mobile SMS is an example of informal written communication.

Visual communication
The last type of communication is the visual communication. Visual communication is visual display of information, like topography, photography, signs, symbols and designs. Television and video clips are the electronic form of visual communication.

Necromancy is also sometimes used to define witchcraft, sorcery, or black magic in general.

Back to top Go down

Post  Adhamh Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:31 pm

Thank you Aura, Soi.

Auron -is- communicating with the dead, through his mana. Through the mana, Auron sends commands to whatever he's bringing to life. Think of it as the way nerves transmit. The brain (Auron) sends commands through the nerves(mana) to a specific area (the skeleton). So he -is- communicating.

As for the rate of decay thing brought up, the mana would help to preserve the body. I'd say 2 years before it begins to decompose. But either way, Auron wouldn't be controlling a corpse for that long. At most maybe he'd hold one for a week.
Adhamh
Adhamh
Cromm Crunch
Cromm Crunch

Back to top Go down

Post  Xeek Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:12 pm

Teoxihuitl wrote:Ok. . .so is your mana constantly depleting while controlling the skeleton?

Sounds like the skeleton cannot do anything on its own.

I imagine it'll be more like a golem, the thing about necromancy, unlike puppeteer, you don't control the being. You kind of just bring them to life and put a "CoD"-type spell, all in one. So, they are your servants and there is no constant mana depletion. Puppeteers need a constant hold on their reanimated objects. Hence the strings tied to them.
Xeek
Xeek
Retired
Retired

Back to top Go down

Post  Adhamh Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:31 pm

It's like a two-stage thing. The necromancy stage is the actual act of bringing up the skeleton. The second stage is pretty much just mana-manipulation.
Adhamh
Adhamh
Cromm Crunch
Cromm Crunch

Back to top Go down

Post  Adhamh Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:27 pm

May I at least get an update as to whether you colored-guys are discussing this or just ignoring it? I'd rather have some sort of status update than no reply.
Adhamh
Adhamh
Cromm Crunch
Cromm Crunch

Back to top Go down

Post  Dellinger Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:27 pm

Sorry, been a tad busy IRL and have needed some break from management stuff. Auron, question for you. Is this, in a sense, like "better golem summoning"? Golem summoning also requires mana and some modicum of concentration to make the 'ritual' active.

Following that... Here's the thing: Not sure how puppets work, so what's to say Auron doesn't just chug MP potions to make this thing stay up? Is there a point where the link will just break, seeing as you have stated you are a novice necromancer? GS has the golem crumbling naturally after some point. Would a novice at necromancy have the same problem, due to his inefficient understanding of how necromancy works? It seems to imply Auron has reanimation down to a science from the descriptions... which I'm not sure goes along with your OOC description with his skill level.

Just some questions for consideration, as always, dear friends.
Dellinger
Dellinger
Dragon
Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Adhamh Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:29 am

It is similar to golem summoning in that aspect, yes. The reason why I classify Auron as a novice necromancer is because he can't yet give them sentience. He has to maintain a constant control on it to keep it up and moving. Eventually, I planned on allowing the skeleton to move on its own. The rate of decomposition that I mentioned earlier was actually the time limit, although in retrospect, it's too long for Auron's current skill level. For now, I'd like to have the rate of decomposition at 1 day.
Adhamh
Adhamh
Cromm Crunch
Cromm Crunch

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenelm Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:21 am

So, the magic collapses at the end of one in-game day, or at the end of one day outside the game?
Kenelm
Kenelm
Mentor
Mentor

Location : Dallas-Fort Worth metro, Texas, United States, GMT-6

Back to top Go down

Post  Glaceon Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:29 am

I imagine one ingame day, which is actually 3 times the length of a Rank 1 Golem summon time. Just thought I'd point this out.
Glaceon
Glaceon
Glas Ghoblehht
Glas Ghoblehht

Back to top Go down

Post  Adhamh Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:12 pm

Yup 1 in-game day.

I'd also like to point out the fact that this relies heavily on Auron's mana (which he has a lot of) and that the skeleton will be doing next-to-nothing, meaning Auron won't be expending a lot of his mana to keep it up.
Adhamh
Adhamh
Cromm Crunch
Cromm Crunch

Back to top Go down

Post  Vayne Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:07 pm

..You know what? I'm actually more ok with this as I read and deliberate. I'm fine with this.
Vayne
Vayne
Retired
Retired

Back to top Go down

Post  Mari Eir Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:31 am

Final edit looks fine to me. Approved.
Mari Eir
Mari Eir
Viking
Viking

Back to top Go down

Post  Adhamh Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:45 pm

I have three approvals, may I get this moved please? XD
Adhamh
Adhamh
Cromm Crunch
Cromm Crunch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum