Official Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thou shalt not commit logical fallacies

2 posters

Go down

Thou shalt not commit logical fallacies Empty Thou shalt not commit logical fallacies

Post  Xeek Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:29 pm

"A logical fallacy is usually what has happened when someone is wrong about something. It's a flaw in reasoning. They're like tricks or illusions of thought, and they're often very sneakily used by politicians and the media to fool people."

Here is something to really help everyone(Including myself). Basically, if you notice someone committing one of these, you should point it out.
Note: Don't use these to further a point, make sure you have proof that a person is committing a logical fallacy before pointing it out (known as the fallacy fallacy).

Strawman: You misrepresented someone's argument to make it easier to attack.
Spoiler:

False Cause: You presumed that a real or perceived relationship between things means that one is the cause of the other.
Spoiler:

Appeal to emotion: You attempted to manipulate an emotional response in place of a valid or compelling argument.
Spoiler:

The fallacy fallacy: Presuming that because a claim has been poorly argued, or a fallacy has been made, that it is necessarily wrong.
Spoiler:

Slippery slope: You made out like if we allow A to happen, then Z will eventually happen too, therefore A should not happen.
Spoiler:

Ad hominem: You attacked your opponent's character or personal traits instead of engaging with their argument.
Spoiler:

Tu quoque: You avoided having to engage with criticism by turning it back on the accuser - you answered criticism with criticism.
Spoiler:

Personal incredulity: Because you found something difficult to understand, or are unaware of how it works, you made out like it's probably not true.
Spoiler:

Special pleading: You moved the goalposts or made up an exception when your claim was shown to be false.
Spoiler:

Loaded question:You asked a question that had an assumption built into it so that it couldn't be answered without appearing guilty.
Spoiler:

Burden of proof: You said that the burden of proof lies not with the person making the claim, but with someone else to disprove.
Spoiler:

Ambiguity: You used a double meaning or ambiguity of language to mislead or misrepresent the truth.
Spoiler:

The gambler's fallacy: You said that 'runs' occur to statistically independent phenomena such as roulette wheel spins.
Spoiler:

Bandwagon: You appealed to popularity or the fact that many people do something as an attempted form of validation.
Spoiler:

Appeal to authority: You used the opinion or position of an authority figure, or institution of authority, in place of an actual argument.
Spoiler:

Composition/division: You assumed that one part of something has to be applied to all, or other, parts of it.
Spoiler:

No true scotsman: You made what could be called an appeal to purity as a way to dismiss relevant criticisms or flaws of your argument.
Spoiler:

Genetic: You judged something as either good or bad on the basis of where it comes from, or from whom it came.
Spoiler:

Black-or-white: You presented two alternative states as the only possibilities, when in fact more possibilities exist.
Spoiler:

Begging the question:You presented a circular argument in which the conclusion was included in the premise.
Spoiler:

Appeal to nature: You argued that because something is 'natural' it is therefore valid, justified, inevitable, or ideal.
Spoiler:

Anecdotal: You used a personal experience or an isolated example instead of a sound argument or compelling evidence.
Spoiler:

The texas sharpshooter: You cherry-picked a data cluster to suit your argument, or found a pattern to fit a presumption.
Spoiler:

Middle ground: You claimed that a compromise, or middle point, between two extremes must be the truth.
Spoiler:
Xeek
Xeek
Retired
Retired

Back to top Go down

Thou shalt not commit logical fallacies Empty Re: Thou shalt not commit logical fallacies

Post  Xeek Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:53 am

Here is a few others, though, I am not going to list each one of these, as they have a picture. So I will put it in a spoiler.

Spoiler:
Xeek
Xeek
Retired
Retired

Back to top Go down

Thou shalt not commit logical fallacies Empty Detecting Fallacies Aren't Enough

Post  Bartholomew Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:29 am

Since I'm currently taking a Logic class, I found this too good to pass up in terms of passing along information~ Fallacies were covered in my class for this week, so I'll dump the "Week 1" goodies here. Some of the readings offer summaries in the event people want to go "TL;DR."

[Week 1 Lectures & Notable Readings]
Logic as Critical Thinking:
Deductive and Inductive Arguments: Part 1:
Deductive and Inductive Arguments: Part 2:
The Value of Critical Thinking:
From A Concise Introduction to Logic "Chapter 1—Basic Concepts":

Last edited by Bartholomew on Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added "Counterexample Method" to the texts)
Bartholomew
Bartholomew
Kosher Dill Troll
Kosher Dill Troll

Back to top Go down

Thou shalt not commit logical fallacies Empty Re: Thou shalt not commit logical fallacies

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum